Merck has announced two supply interruptions:
• Adult formulation of Vaqta, a hepatitis A vaccine – anticipated return: Q3 2017
• Adult formulation of RecombivaxHB, a hepatitis B vaccine – anticipated return: Q3 2018
Please note that these interruptions should not impact the supply of the pediatric formulation of either Vaqta or RecombivaxHB.
If you have any questions, please contact your Merck representative or the CPP office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The May 19, 2017, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report includes the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ updated dosing schedule recommendations for TRUMENBA® (serogroup B meningococcal vaccine).
To read the updated recommendations, please click here.
CPP members can now access a recording of Dr. Richard Tuck coding seminar “Value Based Care: An Opportunity!”. The recording is now posted in the coding resources section of the CPP website. Please contact the CPP office at email@example.com if you need the login credentials to access the password protected materials.
CPP will be attending and exhibiting at the AMGA annual conference in Grapevine, TX March 22-25. Stop by the booth and see what new resources we have to help you manage your vaccines more cost effectively!
Price increases in general are not fun. Fortunately in the case of vaccines, buying group members receive 30 to 90 days of advanced notice before the new pricing becomes effective. This timing enables a practice to take action to minimize the negative impact to their bottom line. Here are several steps you can take:
- Notify your payers of the change and refer them to the updated CDC Private Sector List price as the benchmark for reimbursements.
- Update your billing rates accordingly
- Purchase a refrigerator and freezer large enough to store extra vaccines purchased during this discount period
- Strategically time your purchases so that you can purchase as much product as you can at the pre-increase price
- Check all invoices to make sure the pre-increase price is honored through the implementation date
If you have any questions about the overall financial health of your immunization services, contact CPP for a free analysis!
Medically unlikely edits (MUEs) are the daily limit placed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) on billed CPT codes and are often used by private payers to reduce the likelihood of coding errors. With the assistance of the Section on Administration and Practice Management (SOAPM) and the Committee on Coding and Nomenclature (COCN), the Academy worked with CMS to update the MUEs associated with the vaccine administration codes 90460 and 90461 based on clinical rationale.
The updates are as follows:
- Effective April 1, 2017, the MUE for 90460 will go from 6 to 9
- Effective July 1, 2016, the MUE for 90461 will go from 5 to 8 (Since this update was published January 1, 2017 but was effective July 1, 2016, any denials since this date should be appealed.)
If you receive denials for MUEs, email the AAP coding hotline at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Full Article)
Merck has announced a price increase to Zostavax effective January 6, 2017. The new pricing will become effective for CPP members on April 6, 2017. For updated pricing sheets, please contact the CPP office at email@example.com or 614-722-2145.